Sarasota, FL 34235
Job goal: This position is designed to support students with a primary disability of autism.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and assist students as needed in their daily routines across classroom activities and/or settings.
- Assist in collecting data for behavioral or academic progress.
- Initiate and follow through with behavioral interventions as designated and demonstrated by the classroom teacher.
- Communicate with all team members in an appropriate manner regarding student progress and/or concerns.
- Participate in planning meetings regarding classroom curricular expectations as well as student needs across all developmental areas.
- Lead and/or facilitate teaching of individuals in 1:1, small group, or whole class instruction.
- Assist individual students as necessary to follow routines, follow directions, follow an individual schedule, and/or complete tasks.
- Monitor students at all times including on/off the bus, lunch, and times of transition.
- Meet students in the morning to unload buses and assist with loading or unloading as necessary.
- Assist with students requiring self-help skills in the areas of safety, eating, and toileting.
- Facilitate the teaching procedures demonstrated by the classroom teacher for small groups including errorless learning and verbal behavior techniques.
- Create materials as time allows and directed by teacher.
- Clean-up after students as necessary and at the end of the day.
- Prepare room daily for instruction in the morning or end of day as designated by teacher.
- Assist in helping a student develop necessary skills in the generalized education environment.
- Communicate any concerns to the classroom teacher regarding student performance and concerns.
- Communicate effectively and with a professional manner with general education staff when assigned.
- Remain professional and keep student information confidential at all times.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent and Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university is required.
- One (1) year of experience with special education students in an organized setting is required or adults with disabilities.
- Experience working with students who have severe behaviors is preferred.
- Experience with ABA is highly desirable.
- Valid Florida driver’s license, a safe driving record and proof of motor vehicle insurance.
- Knowledge/Experience of specific best practice approaches for students with autism including: verbal behavior, (PECS) Picture Exchange Communication System, Structured Teaching, Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) or Registered Behavior Technician (RBT).
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee must be able to:
- Lift, carry, push and or pull items with a strength factor of light to medium work.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs
- Hear and speak to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
- See to read a variety of materials.
- Observe, listen and speak to students.
- Possess dexterity of hands and fingers to operate equipment.
- Bend at the waist, kneel and crouch.
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time. Walk in classroom and outdoor environments.
- Stand and walk; run for short distances.
- Reach horizontally and above shoulders.
- Climb a step stool or ladder.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
Contact with sick children and dissatisfied or abusive individuals; possible contact with blood borne pathogens and/or bodily fluids. Possible injury from punching, hitting, slapping, pushing and biting.